Thursday, June 4, 2009

Designer Blues




As a designer I am lucky to be able to be surrounded by color all day every day. And I just can't get enough. I love putting together different color combinations that are unexpected. There are no rules in design, you just have to like the outcome. But there are some basic standards that help create an aesthetically pleasing design. One tip is to work off of an inspiration color. My inspiration in this virtual room is turquoise blue. That doesn't mean that everything in the room should be turquoise. In fact, quite the opposite. When using such a strong color as your main focus you don't want to over do it. You want to create a surrounding palette that will allow the turquoise to stand out. Notice that the bedding in the room is a nice neutral off white. This allows you to add a little punch of color in the pillows or sheets you use. Another way to add color is to have one or two furniture pieces in the room have the inspiration color as well. Here I have selected a turquoise media center and coordinating corkboard. These pieces should not be used near each other but across the room from each other so that they create their own balance. I always suggest trying to think outside the box. Anyone can just buy a matching bedding set from your local linen shop and it will look nice. But adding some unexpected pieces is when the fun starts! Be creative and have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Caitlin, you have so many wonderful tips! Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge. Do you have a subscription link so that I can get your posts directly in my inbox?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Irene! There should be a "Follow Blog" button at the top of the page so you can follow me.

    ReplyDelete